When you are injured because of someone else’s negligence, you have a right to seek compensation for your injuries. In Pennsylvania, bicycle accidents are covered by car insurance belonging to the driver who is at fault. If no one is at fault, the injuries are usually covered by the victim’s auto insurance.
Filing A Bike Accident Claim
If you or your child was hit by a car while riding a bicycle, you may ask the driver’s insurance company to compensate you for your medical bills, property damage and other losses. How do you get this compensation?
Five Steps to Take After a Pennsylvania Bicycle Accident
Your settlement could depend on the steps you take after your accident. Our bicycle accident attorneys suggest taking the following steps to protect your case.
- Call 911: Ask the police officer who comes to the scene to complete an accident report. Ask how you can get a copy; you will need to file the police report with your injury claim.
- Get the drivers contact information: Ask the at-fault driver for her name, number and insurance company. If you aren’t able to do this because you or your child is injured, ask the police officer to get this information for you.
- Seek medical care: Go to the emergency room or visit your doctor for treatment of your injuries. Follow your doctor’s instructions.
- Preserve evidence: Write down your own account of the accident. These memories will fade with time. Get the names and addresses of any witnesses. Take pictures of your damaged bike, helmet and other equipment.
- Speak to a Pennsylvania bicycle injury attorney: Before you accept the insurance company’s offer, know the value of your claim. Schedule a free consultation with Petrelli Law.
Representation in Pennsylvania bicycle injury cases
You may be able to get compensation for your injuries by filing a claim with the driver’s insurance company. Your settlement should cover any past and future medical bills, the repair or replacement of the bicycle, any lost income, and pain and suffering. However, insurance companies rarely pay victims full benefits. This means that many bike accident victims are left paying high medical bills even after receiving an insurance settlement unless they hire an attorney to file a bike accident lawsuit. Our Pennsylvania Bicycle Accident Attorneys can get you the compensation you deserve for the injuries caused by your accident. We’ll work on your behalf to make sure you get all the compensation you are entitled to. Call us at (215) 309-4034 to schedule your free, no obligation, consultation.